Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

I Made a Feather!!!

My first attempt at Dreambird was a failure.  You remember this picture I showed you of the shawl I am planning to make?  (remember too that this is NOT my shawl, just a picture of one of my favorites from Ravelry!)

Beinenfresser - HERE on Ravelry

I knitted and knitted and tried my best to keep count on all those dratted short rows!  But after half of the first feather was completed, I was supposed to be at the end of the work, but I had 7 stitches left over..... had to rip it all out!!!

My second attempt has been much more successful!  See how my stitches came all the way to the end here?  This was a very good sign that I had worked this one correctly!!!



Here it is at half of the feather complete....



And then here is the full feather - completed and correct - whoohoo!!!!


Ask me how excited I am - go ahead!!!!  
Yep, I'm like a puppy with a new chew toy!!!

Also today, a couple of my sewing buddies, Joanne and Mary came over to my house armed with sewing machines and lots of red & neutral fabrics, and we sewed some more on our Talkin Turkey quilts......

!
We each did 60 of these string blocks, trimmed them to 5-1/2" and cut them diagonally.  These sections are done now, so we'll be working on the nine-patch centers next.  After that we get to enjoy the pleasure of making over 400 flying geese!!!  Yeh, I'm not that crazy about making flying geese, but I suppose I can handle it for this quilt :*)  Bonnie Hunter sure does like to design quilts with a ton of little pieces, doesn't she?

Hugs & Blessings!
Teresa
=^..^=

17 comments:

  1. Your feather looks fabulous! I'm ready for Judy L and Denise's Dreambird group project. My yarn is bought, my pattern book has been printed-need to read first. :)
    The string blocks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on that feather! Oh, that intimidates me!!
    Sounds like a fun time sewing with friends. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the feather. I'm impressed. I agree with your assessment of Bonnie Hunter quilts. But they are all beautiful when they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whopee on your feather!! They say the 1st one is the hardest, after that they will be a breeze. Yep, you are so right. BH does love those tiny pieces. Flying geese are not my favorites either. It will be beautiful though -- I have that book and it's one of the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo on the feather!! It looks awesome ... I can't wait to see the finished Dreambird.

    Yeah, Bonnie does like to use a ton of pieces ... but her quilts are always gorgeous. The next time I have to make flying geese, I'm going to try Judy L's method of paper piecing them. I can't wait to see your Talkin Turkey quilt ... if those pretty reds in the string block you showed are any indication, it will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, your 'feather' is gorgeous!!! That's it. I *AM* sending you yarn! LOL! Nice string blocks, too ... the reds pictured here are all lovely, lovely!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second time did the trick for your feathers - great! I love the colors in your string block. Lots of work ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah for feathers, quilted or otherwise! That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your knitting is looking so good Teresa. We all have to rip knitting out from time-to-time, but I do learn from it each time. Sometimes I think I am following the pattern correctly, but each designer writes in her(or his) own words and that can make the interpretation a bit different. Sometimes it's me reading the instructions wrong, sometimes it's a poorly written pattern. At least we can reuse the yarn and start over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See, this is why I can't knit. It's because I can't count, and I am too easily distracted. You are doing a marvelous job, on the other hand. It is a very pretty shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm super impressed with your feather! Knitting can be so frustrating, but such a reward if one perseveres. Looking forward to watching the progress of your shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see the progress on this shawl...looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. That feather is absolutely gorgeous, Teresa. I can see that being appliqued on an art quilt!!!! You never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are speaking a foreign language when talking about knitting, but, I sure do like it when you're Talkin' Turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here I am AGAIN with more than just a tear in my eyes, but also a huge tug at my heart! I so wish I had been there with you, Joanne & Mary talking turkey! Love you my wonderful friend and missing you all so much!
    Lynnie Lou

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your color choice for DB! And your Talking Turkey looks very interesting also. (Red is my favorite color!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...